Friends and family,
Sorry this is a day behind, but I wanted to recap yesterday's events for you from my dad's time at the Mayo Clinic.
At some point early, a culture was taken of the lung tissue and it came up with a very resistant bacteria, resistant to many antibiotics. Doctors put him on an antibiotic as a preventative measure once his surgery was over and it happened to be the antibiotic that take cares of the strain they found. It has not been considered an infection and the doctors are not overly concerned at this point. Please pray that the antibiotic will take care of the bacteria.
The doctors told us to expect a bump each day that we'll have to overcome, but overall the doctors are very pleased with how he is doing. Dad just found out yesterday about everything that had caused the doctors to be concerned until now and had no clue he had been put back under for 24 hours until then. It's amazing to hear everyone talk about how much God has been a part of this and the doctors have been in awe at how my dad has overcome things that they were uncertain as to how they would turn out and were questionable as to why the things even happened. The doctors said no one had ever woken up from a transplant without feeling from their left side. These are the same doctors that have said this is the only the second time they've heard someone pray before their surgery and the first time anyone has ever prayed for the donor's family. This is still a tough issue for my dad to come to grips with, how someone young and healthy was taken so that my dad could be spared. I was looking through my phone yesterday and found a picture I had taken while I was home visiting a few weeks ago. Let me begin this by saying, I don't put much thought into reading a fortune cookie from Pei Wei, but just over a week before my dad was called, his read the following: The best times of your life have not yet been lived.
Speaking of the best times of his life, my dad has had lots of laughs recounting his past few days of life and Deb said he is so excited to talk about how God has worked in every detail of his journey through this disease and now his transplant and recovery. Yesterday he walked the hall 3 times!! Twice with minimal oxygen (3 liters) and the last time with no oxygen. Upon finishing he even had great readings for his oxygen levels in his blood which tells us the lungs are doing a great job. When Pat texted me to tell me how my dad had walked the hall without oxygen, I texted back saying, "Yeah! Tell him he's the man!" A few minutes later, I got the reply "He already knew that"! Slowly but surely, the OLD (well not old in years b/c as he claims now he has the lungs of a young man) Rick Hornsby is coming back. Yesterday he also ate breakfast and dinner! He said it was delicious and although it wasn't huge amounts, it was something he enjoyed which is awesome b/c he has not actually enjoyed his food in a while.
Each day will bring something new. I have a post semi written to put up on the blog on my perspective of things and I hope to get that up later today, but being back home taking care of kiddos and working seems to leave little time for anything else!
Thank you for all your well wishes and continued prayers. They are greatly appreciated. When talking to my dad last night, he sounded 100 times better than he did a few days ago, or even a week ago before his surgery. You could hear the excitement in his voice about life, something that has been tough to hear the past few months. I told him how it was certainly a long and exhausting weekend but also how I've been amazed at all the stories that I've heard and comments people have passed on to me whether it's directed at him or bringing up Grandma Hornsby. I can't wait to see how this story plays out.
A final note and I will let you all continue about your day. Nichole (my oldest daughter born on G-Man's birthday October 30th almost 6 years ago) had drawn a picture of two people dancing and all weekend those of us at the Mayo Clinic were trying to figure out who the people were in the drawing. Finally last night, she informed me that the picture was of her and G-Man dancing, but it's her when she is an adult. I think part of that is from us telling her that kids can't go to the hospital to visit, only adults, so she wanted to be an adult so she could go, too. Either way, it was cute to see life from a(n almost) 6 year old's eyes.
Job 33:4,
Christy
Sorry this is a day behind, but I wanted to recap yesterday's events for you from my dad's time at the Mayo Clinic.
At some point early, a culture was taken of the lung tissue and it came up with a very resistant bacteria, resistant to many antibiotics. Doctors put him on an antibiotic as a preventative measure once his surgery was over and it happened to be the antibiotic that take cares of the strain they found. It has not been considered an infection and the doctors are not overly concerned at this point. Please pray that the antibiotic will take care of the bacteria.
The doctors told us to expect a bump each day that we'll have to overcome, but overall the doctors are very pleased with how he is doing. Dad just found out yesterday about everything that had caused the doctors to be concerned until now and had no clue he had been put back under for 24 hours until then. It's amazing to hear everyone talk about how much God has been a part of this and the doctors have been in awe at how my dad has overcome things that they were uncertain as to how they would turn out and were questionable as to why the things even happened. The doctors said no one had ever woken up from a transplant without feeling from their left side. These are the same doctors that have said this is the only the second time they've heard someone pray before their surgery and the first time anyone has ever prayed for the donor's family. This is still a tough issue for my dad to come to grips with, how someone young and healthy was taken so that my dad could be spared. I was looking through my phone yesterday and found a picture I had taken while I was home visiting a few weeks ago. Let me begin this by saying, I don't put much thought into reading a fortune cookie from Pei Wei, but just over a week before my dad was called, his read the following: The best times of your life have not yet been lived.
Speaking of the best times of his life, my dad has had lots of laughs recounting his past few days of life and Deb said he is so excited to talk about how God has worked in every detail of his journey through this disease and now his transplant and recovery. Yesterday he walked the hall 3 times!! Twice with minimal oxygen (3 liters) and the last time with no oxygen. Upon finishing he even had great readings for his oxygen levels in his blood which tells us the lungs are doing a great job. When Pat texted me to tell me how my dad had walked the hall without oxygen, I texted back saying, "Yeah! Tell him he's the man!" A few minutes later, I got the reply "He already knew that"! Slowly but surely, the OLD (well not old in years b/c as he claims now he has the lungs of a young man) Rick Hornsby is coming back. Yesterday he also ate breakfast and dinner! He said it was delicious and although it wasn't huge amounts, it was something he enjoyed which is awesome b/c he has not actually enjoyed his food in a while.
Each day will bring something new. I have a post semi written to put up on the blog on my perspective of things and I hope to get that up later today, but being back home taking care of kiddos and working seems to leave little time for anything else!
Thank you for all your well wishes and continued prayers. They are greatly appreciated. When talking to my dad last night, he sounded 100 times better than he did a few days ago, or even a week ago before his surgery. You could hear the excitement in his voice about life, something that has been tough to hear the past few months. I told him how it was certainly a long and exhausting weekend but also how I've been amazed at all the stories that I've heard and comments people have passed on to me whether it's directed at him or bringing up Grandma Hornsby. I can't wait to see how this story plays out.
A final note and I will let you all continue about your day. Nichole (my oldest daughter born on G-Man's birthday October 30th almost 6 years ago) had drawn a picture of two people dancing and all weekend those of us at the Mayo Clinic were trying to figure out who the people were in the drawing. Finally last night, she informed me that the picture was of her and G-Man dancing, but it's her when she is an adult. I think part of that is from us telling her that kids can't go to the hospital to visit, only adults, so she wanted to be an adult so she could go, too. Either way, it was cute to see life from a(n almost) 6 year old's eyes.
Job 33:4,
Christy
No comments:
Post a Comment