Tuesday, October 27, 2009

10/27/09 Update



Operation Breath of Life Update from my dad:

"The week of October 19th through the 23rd was busy with tests, consultations and cardio/pulmonary rehab becoming a little more challenging. Debbie and I continued to be amazed at the progress being made in such a short period of time. On Friday afternoon, we left an appointment at the hospital to go back home [at Mark and Dawn's house] exactly 3 weeks to the minute from our arrival on October 2 for transplant. After getting in our vehicle, we pulled over in a quiet spot and just thanked God for what He has done for us. I obviously had tears of joy and gratefulness flowing.
The highlight of the week for both Debbie and I was that Kylie was coming up for a brief visit, along with Barbara from my office. We had not seen Kylie since October 2nd as we had met her at the airport just before taking off for the Mayo Clinic. Although our visit was short, it was great to share some time with both she and Barbara.
Regarding my overall health progress, I am amazed at the amount of cardio exercising [walking] I am able to do in such a short period of time since transplant. Currently, I do between 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 miles a day. God has certainly continued His "Operation Breath of Life" Miracle in my life!
Once again, we feel so blessed to have so many going to God on our behalf. I can not imagine going through this without God being in our lives. God has given us such peace through this season of life. Keep praying, your prayers are being answered.
Love in Christ,
Rick

Now for my bit :) As you pray, here's where you can again pray with specifics. Please continue to pray for the donor family. Life is not something to be taken lightly as we have seen over the past few weeks. At any given moment, God may have other plans for us whether it be to continue his work here on Earth or to join him in Heaven. Please continue to pray for the bacteria that came with the new lungs, which is not uncommon. My dad is still on the lovely IV that I never care to watch being done again. The IV has to run for 20 hours/day to eliminate the bacteria, so please pray that it will clear up sooner rather than later. Also please pray for continued progress in my dad's recovery so that certain medications, the ones that cause negative side effects for him, can continue to be reduced in their levels he's being given. Rounding out the lists of prayer requests, please pray that God will bless each person continuing to pray on their behalf for my dad and everyone involved. It is truly amazing how much one can be blessed when you bless others. We have found that to be true over the past week and a half here in South Carolina as many have blessed Capt Giglio's (the F-16 pilot that was killed 15 Oct) family and she has continued to bless people in her own way through her tragedy and loss. I ask that you continue to pray for his wife and children as she begins this new part of her life without her husband. Her faith has remained strong and I fully believe will continue to stay that way just as my dad's did even while he was being tested. Also, please continue to pray for our other friends, Katie and Jon Friedman who were stationed in Italy. The wife, Katie, I mentioned in my last update. She passed away hours after delivering a healthy baby boy. She had a great pregnancy and no complications but God called her home leaving her husband, 2 year old and brand new baby behind. Her visitation in Colorado Springs ended just a short time ago and tomorrow early afternoon, her service will be held at the Air Force Academy where her and her husband met.

Now for the praises with this report. The doctors are still very pleased with the progress and how my dad is recovering without any signs of rejection which is always a big fear with transplants. We continue to acknowledge that all of this is a complete God thing and he continues to show his ongoing miracles. As mentioned above, Kylie was able to visit briefly this past Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. We are thankful that Barbara was able to drive her up there (even though Kylie is only a few months from being 16, wait maybe that's a prayer request for everyone ;) ) and that Barbara was able to share in the special time with them. Kylie has been busy with school and basketball so this was her first chance to get up to see Dad, so I'm glad she was able to. This Thanksgiving we will be able to have a lot to be truly thankful for over the past year and will spend lots of time counting our blessings. The blessing of my dad and Debbie being able to stay with Mark and Dawn Sonneborn in their home which is only 7 minutes away from the Mayo Clinic (that must be with a stop at Starbucks, b/c I thought I had heard 5 minutes before). We are blessed to have the Kelly family where Kylie is staying while her parental figures are in Jacksonville. The blessing of Kylie's friends in her life that are loving her through this time and somehow I think puppy chow has been made more over the past 3 weeks than it has been made in Kylie's entire life. However, I do know that she is sharing it with all of these friends of hers:) Today, well yesterday, marked a special day in my dad's 54th year of life. He got his first haircut since his "new" birthday. This was not only his first haircut since Oct 2nd, but it was also his first trip anywhere besides the Mayo Clinic. I heard him and Mark were like two little boys!!

Attached are pictures from the visit with Kylie. Kylie and Debbie made the cake for my dad's birthday which is this Friday, but they wanted to celebrate early. The trick was for my dad to be able to blow out ALL the candles. I have yet to hear if he was able to do that, but my guess is they didn't use the trick candles this year. Maybe next year :)

Until next time, keep praying and keeping looking up,

Christy

No comments: