Friday, April 2, 2010

Reflections, Rejoicing and Resurrection!!!



Today being April 2, 2010, is 6 months to the day since being called by Dr. Keller of the Mayo Clinic at 11:30am for a single lung transplant surgery. The story is well documented that 20 minutes prior to surgery I was told that I would be receiving both lungs, not just a single lung. I continue to be totally amazed daily at how physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually strong I feel. As I am composing this update, I looked back at past updates and in particular updates from the time of being called through that first month following transplant. I still can't believe just how good I feel.


Reflecting back, it is so God that how He orchestrated this whole event in our lives to allow us the opportunity to sink or swim, fight or flight or to accept or reject. Through the prayers, love and support of so many people, it's absolutely amazing to reflect on the past 6 months of life's journey and to see the Hand of God protecting and guiding us day by day, month by month through this whole process. Just this past Wednesday, I received a call from a man whom Debbie and I had met at the Mayo Clinic while on our last set of tests/consultations in early March. He and his wife introduced themselves to us and told us that he was on the lung transplant waiting list. We had told them at that time if you ever have any questions/concerns that we might be able to answer, please do not hesitate to call us. As I talked with him by phone this past Wednesday, I shared with him how different life is today vs. just 6 months ago. He had great questions and concerns that anyone with a life threatening disease could or should have. As I answered his questions, I again was reminded of what my life had become and again how God was so faithful through it all.


Rejoicing, that as of this writing, I continue to be blessed not to have any rejection issues or any serious health concerns. I have had the pleasure to experience a "Cold" and seemed to do OK with that. It's still so amazing to think that where life had gone to, and then to come to this point in life in just 6 quick months, it is beyond comprehension. As I finished the phone conversation with the man on Wednesday, he thanked me for helping and encouraging him and for that I rejoice that God could use me in a small way to help this man and his wife as they navigate through their journey.


Continuing to rejoice, just 2 weeks ago I had to go to my Dermatologist whom I had not seen since 2 weeks prior to transplant surgery. I had gone to her just over 6 months ago for what I thought was going to be a simple skin cancer removal, but turned into a very significant procedure that included a Plastic Surgeon as a result of some very aggressive skin cancer. She was so happy to see me and couldn't believe the difference from just 6 months ago. She remembered me looking not so good, oxygen tank over my shoulder, a serious procedure needed to take care of a huge hole in my forehead and panic for me to see an Oncologist to be sure cancer was not spread through my body. She asked to me to wait for a minute so she could get the surgeon who had removed the cancer so she too could see the change from 6 months ago. As I was waiting, many of the staff whom I did not recognize, were so happy to see me and were amazed at how different I looked from the last time they saw me. As I was leaving the building, I decided to stop by my private pulmonologist office because I had not seen him since transplant either, although I had spoken to him by phone several times while in Jacksonville. As I entered his office and said my name to the ladies, they looked at me like they had seen a ghost. They couldn't believe the difference and couldn't wait for Dr. Barros to come out and see me. It was so neat!!!! You probably don't see too many male doctors and patients give each other a hug like Dr. Barros and I did at that moment. He then quickly ushered me into his private office so as to be isolated from other patients in his office who have respiratory problems. I thanked him for his 4 years of encouragement and guidance through a circumstance that he felt very helpless over. This is the same doctor who 4 years ago read a biopsy report to me, with tears in his eyes and said medically there was nothing he could do to help me or to save my life. As we stood in his office just 2 weeks ago, I told him how God had used him in my life to encourage and direct me over the past 4 years. It was one of those special days in respect to seeing and feeling the human emotions from Medical Doctors and the opportunity to share how God has blessed me through them and their gift. I can remember leaving Dr. Barros office many times over the past 4 years with natural feelings of discouragement, but in contrast to walking away from his office just 2 weeks ago, what an awesome feeling to be able to thank him and to tell him how God has blessed me through his care and concern for me. I thank God for the doctors and hospitals he has blessed me with. Rejoice!!!


Resurrection!! April 2, 2010....Good Friday.....6 months to the day since being resurrected through Timothy's lungs being transplanted into my body.... Being given new life by God through modern medicine.... Being prayed for by so many and the Miracle of Transplant is still so amazing. Please know that as our journey continues forward, we draw strength and encouragement from the prayers of the past and current as God has and will honor all of them. Our prayers are not always answered by God in the time or manner we would choose, but as He would choose. As Easter and Passover are celebrated this week, I still wonder "Why me". Why would God choose to spare me at this time. As I told Timothy's mom Rosemary in my letter to her just 3 weeks ago, I can't explain "Why" but I will live out my life to honor God and her son Timothy.


Please continue to pray for Timothy's mom and family. I have not yet heard back from them since Rosemary's initial response. Regarding the now famous prayer beeper, I will be returning it to our friends who birthed this part of Operation Breath of Life. It was such a great source of encouragement to Debbie and I as we were so blessed by so many "Beeps" and it was a great way to share about faith and prayer to so many as we would be questioned as to what is that noise!!! It was a great gift to us and may be something that you might consider giving to someone you might know facing a similar circumstance. Thank you again for all of your prayers, love and concern.


In closing, speaking of gifts, had it not been for Timothy's family's willingness to donate his organs, I possibly might not be alive today. September 14, 2009 was the date I was told "that without transplant, you will not survive another 6 months". For years I had been listed as an "Organ Donor" on my license and really never thought anything of it. The gift of life through Timothy's lungs has obviously made an impact in our family. Please consider being listed as an "Organ Donor" if you are not already. Talk to your family and friends about this. Share what you know about "our story" [of which each of you have been a part] to encourage others and to share your faith with them.. The demand is greater than the supply. That's another reason I again ask God...."Why me". To all of our friends of the Judeo-Christian faith, have a most Blessed Passover and Blessed Easter. Our God is Awesome!!!


Love in Christ,

Rick and Debbie

1 comment:

paul howley said...

Rick,
Mal and I are so glad that you are doing so well! We think of you often...Paul Howley