Wednesday, February 3, 2010

February 2, 2010 Update

Hey Gang,

Well it is February 2nd and it has now been 4 months since surgery on October 2nd and God continues the Miracle Story in our life. I returned to the Mayo Clinic yesterday for some tests/consultations as part of the research study that I am participating in and the results and comments from the doctor were as follows:

#1 The blood tests came back with great results...no new issues.

#2 The spirometry test results continue to improve.

#3 The Doctor's comment to me at the conclusion of our time together in so many words were...."I have bad news for you, your lungs aren't going to get any better.......[brief pause on his part] because they are already at 100% and you can't get any better than that". He was smiling as he started to make that comment as we have developed a relationship in that we have our serious moments and then some not so serious moments. He truly was again pleased to share that news with me. As Christy our daughter would say..."God Rocks".


God has truly blessed us in such a short period of time. This past weekend we attended the play "The Wizard of Oz" which was put on at Kylie's school, Calvary Christian Academy. Our niece Kim Kelly had a lead role as the "Wicked Witch" and our nephew Michael was the "Technical Director". It was neat again to be "back home" in a setting that we so enjoy and is so much a part of our lives. As we were at the play, I was continually reminded of how "I got new lungs". Each time the Lion said he needed courage....the Tin-Man needed a heart....the scare crow needed a brain....and as the music would play and the actors/actresses would sing those same lines out, each time that took place I was saying to myself....."I got new lungs". I am still so amazed at how different I feel and at the conclusion of the play I found myself reflecting on how I great I feel with new lungs and as I kept replaying that song in my mind...."I'm off to see the wizard", I just kept thinking how blessed we were to take off and fly to Jacksonville at a moments notice and receive new lungs and a new life from God. The Director of Fine Arts at CCA, Mr. Flay, did a great job at the close of the play by bringing Christ into the picture and the illustration of the ruby red slippers being the "Blood of Christ", but it was all I could do to contain myself of saying how I literally did receive exactly what I needed from God and it was in His perfect timing.


Speaking of perfect timing, this Saturday is the Sheridan House 5K Run/Walk. As I had shared previously, I have used this event to help me as a goal in my re-hab/recovery process. I am excited about this and if you want to participate by sponsoring me you can click on the link http://www.active.com/donate/familyvalues5K/fv5kRHornsb1 and know that all funds raised go directly to the ministry to help children and families. For those who have already contributed to another participant or are actually participating as well, please feel no need to give again. For those who have given to the much needed relief effort in Haiti and timing is bad...no problem. For those who have already sponsored me I again say thank you on behalf of those who will be helped through this ministry. I am just excited to be able to go and participate in this event as "I have new lungs". I promise to give my best effort on Saturday morning. God has blessed me beyond belief.


In closing, as I have stated in each update, Debbie and I continue to be humbled and blessed by all the prayers and expressions of love. Please continue to pray for the "Mathews Family" as I have not yet received word back from them regarding my letter to them as my donor's family. God has been so good to us through this journey and I again just want to be used by Him for His Glory and Honor.


Love in Christ,

Rick and Debbie


No comments: