Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Year from OBL!

Happy New Year to each of you and your Families!! It was exciting to be home for Christmas and have time with our family. It seemed to go so fast as the week of Christmas and the weekend following was filled with time with our family as I was so pleased to be home for Christmas. As I am writing this update, it is actually 3 months since we received the call from the Mayo Clinic to head north. So much has happened in such a short period of time. I still can`t believe I am able to do the things I am doing. It is all by the Grace of God and for that I give Him all the praise and glory.

On Christmas Eve and Christmas day, I caught myself many times reflecting upon the past and am thankful for what the future holds and for the huge blessing of the new lease on life given to me through God by way of my donor`s gift of lungs. Please continue to pray for the "Mathews Family" as we have still not received a response from them. Everyday as I enjoy what could be considered the simple things in life, I think of many of those who have lost loved ones to tragedy or sickness in recent times and I again feel so fortunate and blessed to be where I am at in my journey at this time, remembering not to take anything for granted.

On the Monday following Christmas, we had the opportunity to travel to Fort Myers for 3 days as Kylie`s basketball team participated in a 48 team basketball tournament. Within the bracket her team was in, they were fortunate to make it to the Championship game and were competitive for most of the game, but lost to a school who is larger than Kylie`s and who is also currently ranked #1 in the state. One of the highlights for me personally was on Tuesday night, our team played The First Academy of Orlando, whose coach happens to be someone we know from her days as a college player in both basketball and volleyball at Lynn University. It was exciting to see Michelle and get to visit with her on Tuesday night after our game was over and to then be able to share with Michelle, her team and their parents, our team and our parents, just how much I had looked forward to being in Fort Myers, as the thought of being able to travel there gave me so much incentive in my recovery and rehab process. It`s amazing how God can even use the silly game of basketball in our lives!! It was great to be back around Kylie`s team, her coaches, players, other parents and fans. I`m not sure if anyone enjoys it as much as I do, as I know from enjoying the days of Ricky and Christy growing up, that it all passes so quickly.

As we have now been back home for a short time and as Debbie and I get out [sometimes together and sometimes individually] we are running into friends and neighbors and it is so good to see them all. A common comment that I get from many people is "Rick...it is so good to see you" and I respond with..."It is so good to be seen"!! As I make that statement to those previously and as I say it now, I say it in a humble manner and not in a boastful way. It is just so good to be back home in our community, work setting and at our church and school setting that is so much a part of our life. Debbie and I continue to be blessed by the prayers, emails, notes and other various forms of communication of love and concern that each of you have extended to us. We are truly blessed.

I will heading back to Jacksonville on Sunday morning for 4 more days of tests/consultations starting at 7am on Monday morning at the Mayo Clinic.. The plan is for me to return home on Thursday evening as I anticipate good results from the upcoming tests. I am looking forward to then getting back to what might be considered to be a little bit more of a normal life as I should not have to return for further tests until the first part of April for my lung transplant follow-up plan. In addition to the regular testing for lung transplant, I am participating in a research study for the purpose of studying a medication which is hopefully going to help current and future lung transplant patients as a result of this study. The purpose of the medication is to help with the potential rejection that takes place following surgery and life following.

In closing, thank you again for your prayers and expressions of love and concern for us. It has been an incredible journey in which I know God has great plans for me ahead. Our family is so blessed. As with my goal of getting home for Christmas and making it to Kylie`s tournament in Fort Myers, one of my next goals is to participate in the Annual Sheridan House 5K Run/Walk in early February. I am using this as an incentive and encouragement for myself as I continue to exercise and get stronger in my rehab/recovery process. Last year I had to use supplemental oxygen to participate and my time was rather embarrassing. However, this year, I just consider myself blessed to be able to know that I will be there and enjoy life to its fullest with healthy lungs. In my next update, I will let you know how you can participate with me in it if you wish.

Happy New Year and God Bless,
Rick and Debbie

No comments: