Today being October 2nd, this day marks the 2nd Anniversary since being called for lung transplant. I can't tell you how many times I asked Debbie or Kylie what time it was as I was going back through our day remembering the events of 2 years ago. As I write this update at the close of the day, it has really been an awesome day. Debbie and I started out at the 8am service at our church, Calvary Chapel Fort Lauderdale, followed by a quiet breakfast together. We then went home to spend some time with Kylie, followed by my 6 mile exercise as I prepare for the Fort Lauderdale half marathon in mid November. The day eventually moved on to one of man's favorite pastimes.....watching football. Having strong lungs and a strong heart, I deal pretty good with the weekly dose of disappointment in the Dolphins!!
We as a family continue to be blessed by God with great health and great results from what just seems like yesterday since being in Jacksonville for those 3 months following transplant. As I wrote in my initial letter to Rosemary [our donor's mom] 23 months ago, I can not begin to explain why things have happened the way they have and yet the outcome of life's trials for so many others is very different. We are keenly aware of many others who have faced trials in life and have endured much more and yet seem to continue to suffer in many areas of life. Until we get to Heaven, I guess none of us will totally understand God's timing for many events and tragedies in life. However, I do know that our job while on Planet Earth is to endure, persevere and Glorify God through our daily lives.
We continue to be blessed by family and friends who "Have my best interest at heart" by keeping me accountable for my health. Debbie and I will be traveling to the Mayo Clinic the week of October 10th for a 3 day series of tests and consultations that is part of the 2 year anniversary. Expectations on my part are for all of the results to be very positive and for the Doctors to tell me "See you in 6 months". We have been on a 3 month recall system for the past 2 years as I feel like Jacksonville is almost like our second home.
Thank you again for the continued prayers on our behalf and the various expressions of love and concern given to our family. The "Operation Breath of Life" continues to be a Miracle. We as a family continue to pray for so many of you that have really endured much more hardship and tragedy than we could have ever imagined.
Love in Christ,
Rick and Debbie
From Christy: I can't begin to describe the feelings I've had today even as it was just another day in our house here in KS. It feels like just yesterday as my dad said that we got THE phone call. It's one of those that I'll never forget where I was the minute my phone rang. And while emotions ran wild that day, I'll never forget that I was surrounded by people who love me and encouraged me in the best ways they knew how. Somehow that night I played crud and watched Eric's band play and I remember most of that. But I remember the strong feelings of fear combined with blessing and those two don't mix well. All in all, I am so thankful for what God has given our family and how He had it in his plans all along to take my dad down this path. As today marks anniversaries from two years ago that put me on an emotional rollercoaster for the few weeks following, I try to continue reminding myself of all the blessings we have in life. As my dad said, there are so many others who are suffering and who have gone through worse things. It's our job to take what God hands us and glorify Him through it all. Happy "Birthday" Dad. I love you!
From Christy: I can't begin to describe the feelings I've had today even as it was just another day in our house here in KS. It feels like just yesterday as my dad said that we got THE phone call. It's one of those that I'll never forget where I was the minute my phone rang. And while emotions ran wild that day, I'll never forget that I was surrounded by people who love me and encouraged me in the best ways they knew how. Somehow that night I played crud and watched Eric's band play and I remember most of that. But I remember the strong feelings of fear combined with blessing and those two don't mix well. All in all, I am so thankful for what God has given our family and how He had it in his plans all along to take my dad down this path. As today marks anniversaries from two years ago that put me on an emotional rollercoaster for the few weeks following, I try to continue reminding myself of all the blessings we have in life. As my dad said, there are so many others who are suffering and who have gone through worse things. It's our job to take what God hands us and glorify Him through it all. Happy "Birthday" Dad. I love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment