One year ago today!!!
Oh how time has flown by this past year since our daughter Christy sent out an update on October 2, 2009 at approximately 11:45am. "The call" had come from the Mayo Clinic just minutes before and it was time for Debbie and I to depart for a "Life Saving Lung Transplant". It has been an incredible journey this past year as God has truly blessed us and provided as only He can.
The past 2 weeks have been very eventful as it pertains to our "New Lungs" and the new lease on life and opportunities given to us. On Monday, September 20th, we began 4 days of tests at the Mayo Clinic for the purpose of testing my body with Timothy's lungs fully engaged after almost one year since surgery. At the conclusion of those 4 days of what seemed like endless tests, Dr. Alvarez summarized the results in one word........"Impeccable". What a great word!!! I was somewhat expecting Dr. Alvarez to say "Fantastic", but I was thrilled to hear the word "Impeccable". As I drove home that night, the word he chose to use kept ringing in my ears. The definition of impeccable is: having no flaws; perfect. Some synonyms of impeccable are: faultless, ideal, flawless, perfect, picture perfect, unblemished. How much better can it get than that!!!! God has been so good, fact is, He has been Impeccable!!!
I stated above that "we began 4 days of tests" because without the "Gift of Life" and through the Donation of "Timothy's lungs", I [we] would not be alive today if not for this Miracle from God. You see, Timothy lives on through the 4 lives he saved by being an "Organ Donor". Speaking for myself, I [along with my family and friends] look forward to the day to learn more about Timothy's life and family. I still stand amazed to think that keeping me breathing and alive today is someone else's lungs, surgically planted inside of my body. I was asked just this past Monday night by a lady if my family members are listed as "organ donors" and I told that lady yes and that even in the past, for as long as I could remember, I too have been listed as an "organ donor" on my license. However, I did tell that lady as we spoke on the phone on Monday night that about 4 and 1/2 years ago I put a "little yellow sticky" on the back of my license that said "Not Lungs". She chuckled at my comment. Please consider, if you are not already, becoming an "organ donor". It is a very simple process to "being listed" as an "organ donor" because when you speak to someone who has lost a loved one and that loved ones organs were used to help save others lives, it is quite a conversation.
You see, that lady that I was just referring to above that I spoke to on Monday night was Timothy's mother, Rosemary. We had a brief conversation and she was very pleased to hear from us and is so looking forward to meeting in person. Debbie and I will be traveling to Lexington, Ky. on October 29th to meet Rosemary. Now you can understand why I said above that the past 2 weeks have been very eventful. I shared with Rosemary of Dr. Alvarez's summary statement and she too was very pleased to say the least. She was at work at the time of our initial conversation on Monday evening, but we will be talking more to finalize our travel plans and specific meeting time. Please keep that as a matter of prayer as one can only imagine the emotions and feelings that will be shared at that time.
I continue to be amazed at how strong my body continues to get physically through exercise and workouts. When I say or state "we" or "our", it is because all of this that has happened over this past year continues to impact not just me, but Timothy's lungs being transplanted inside of my body has had such an impact on so many of "us". Debbie and I are so grateful for the "Gift of Life" that God has provided and for the abundance of prayers and support given to us by so many. Just prior to going to the Mayo for the 1 year testing, I decided to register to walk in a half marathon to be held in Fort Lauderdale on November 14th. Even though my running days are over, that has nothing to do with the lungs. I desire to do this for many reasons. One is so that people will know that "Rick and his new lungs from Timothy" are doing just great and to help raise the awareness and importance of being an "organ donor" and as well to raise the level of awareness of the disease I once had [Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis aka IPF]. As I had been thinking about doing this, I thought how fitting it would be to go do a 13.1 mile race, 13.1 months after a double lung transplant. I was asked just today by a man named Dale, whom is awaiting a lung transplant himself and has the same lung disease I had, what my shirt might say on it on "Raceday". I told him I was not sure yet but that I want to bring glory to God through this event and I am not wanting to be prideful or boastful in my endeavor. I want God to receive the glory and honor [John 9:1-5] and to help raise the awareness of IPF and the need for organs donors.
In closing, I want to leave you with some serious and urgent prayer requests. As we all go through life, trials come in many different forms and the outcomes of those trials come in many different forms as well. As I told the uncle of a young man who is lying in a South Florida hospital right now paralyzed as the result of injuring his neck on Thursday afternoon while at the beach, [as I was fighting back tears] only when we get to Heaven will we get all the answers from God as to why the outcome for some is so different. Please pray for these:
1] Derek Avilez, a young man in South Florida who suffered a very serious spinal cord injury on Thursday. Pray that the swelling goes down, that no infection enters his body and his breathing stabilizes.
2] For my brother Steve as he continues his battle with the same lung disease that I had.
3] For a friend named Dale who is awaiting transplant, who also has the same lung disease that I had.
As our "Operation Breath of Life" http://rickhornsby.blogspot.com states at the top, we desire to Glorify God [John 9:1-5]....Be Obedient [Genesis 22:1-19] and acknowledge God's Gift [Job 33:4] through this journey. Our prayer is that God would use us to encourage and point others towards Him through our continued journey.
Thank you each for sharing in this journey with us and pray that Debbie and I can be used as an encouragement to Rosemary as we meet with her at the end of this month. We have been so blessed by God through this trial in our life. It has been more than we could ever imagined, dreamed or thought. Our desire is to Glorify God through it all. We will continue to update you in the future. God Bless You.
Love in Christ,
Rick and Debbie
Ephesians 3:20
From Christy: Not much I can add here that hasn't already been said. This "God story" has certainly continued on way past the afternoon/evening of Oct. 2, 2009. Even a year later, I'm still truly amazed at how it has all played out but as I read a quick blurb by Kylie recently "only God can receive the glory". I had the chance to share my dad's story this past week at PWOC (Protestant Women of the Church) while doing a devotional on Prayer. As I sat listening to the devotional a few weeks ago, I kept thinking how perfect this story would be to talk about how prayer is so important. As I told my dad I was going to share the story and how it would be interesting to see if I got through it, his question was "Why? It's been a while and things are great" (those weren't his exact words, I can't remember them, I can barely remember my name sometimes, but you get the jist). The only answer I can offer is that October of 2009 was a life changing month for me and it began with Timothy's incredible gift to my dad. Sure, I gave my dad his first grandkid for his 49th birthday, but I think Timothy topped me. The days and weeks that followed Oct 2, 2009 were filled with many emotions and ones that may not be as strong as they were a year ago, but they still remain. The feeling of awe is still there in how God worked and continues to work through everything. He had his hand in every detail to make sure everything worked out according to HIS plan. Everyone loved hearing my dad's story and that was without even being able to tell them how it has all played out after the first few weeks. With all that being said, I ask that you add my friend Leigh Giglio to your prayers for the upcoming few weeks. She is the pilot's wife I mentioned shortly after my dad's transplant. Her husband was involved in a mid air collision last October and upon meeting her, she immediately asked how my dad was and told me that her and Nick, her husband, had been praying for him. So I ask that you please continue to pray for her, Grace and Caleb, their 7 month old son who never got to meet his father. Thank you from myself for all your continued prayers and support for my dad and our family through all of this. It means so much to us to know that so many people have been through this journey with us. Ok, well that's all from this soccer mom.
1 comment:
Rick,
God couldn't have chosen a better person to work through so miraculously. I'm convinced that because of your faithfulness to Him, He decided that He just wasn't quite done with Rick Hornsby yet.
At church right now, we began an series last week entitled "One Month to Live". The premise is to consider how you would live your life differently if you were given the news, "you have one month to live."
Over the past 25 years or so that I've known you, I've always seen a man who lives with that urgency, that passion for Jesus, someone who lives for others and lives in light of His will, not his own.
That's what it's all about! Thanks for the example you've been to me, and countless others.
Blessings and continued prayers,
Rick Jacobs
Post a Comment