Wednesday, October 2, 2013

BOL 10/2/2013 Celebrating 4 Years

Amazing!!!! To think that it has been 4 years since Debbie and I flew to the Mayo Clinic for Lung Transplant.

As I sit in my hotel room writing this update, it has been quite a memorable past 36 hours, let alone the past 4 years. As I drove up yesterday, I spoke to Rosemary (My donor Timothy's mom) and she told me she spent the past 3 days in Georgia thanking the hospital staff and rescue team that had cared for her son as he was on life support awaiting the family's arrival 4 years ago.

Rosemary said it was a very meaningful time to her and that she is so happy for Debbie and I with the whole outcome. She wants to join Debbie and I next year at the Mayo for the 5 year anniversary tests, so she can meet the doctors and staff there and personally thank them as well.

Upon my arrival last night in Jacksonville, I had invited my friend Paul to meet me at the Mayo campus as I was going to do 4 laps (1 mile per lap) around a portion of the campus, for a total of 4 miles to celebrate the 4 year anniversary. Paul joined me and did great. The amazing part to that is just 5 months ago Paul was at 8% lung function prior to his Double Lung Transplant at the Mayo in early April.

At the completion of our 4 miles and a cool down stroll, Paul and I sat and prayed, thanking God for our donor's, their families, the staff at the hospital and praying for those who are awaiting transplant. We both agreed that we are truly blessed to have this second chance at life.

Today's tests and consultations went good overall with all things considered. Our lung function (Timothy and I ) continues to be at 100%. As I went thru the day , I found my self checking the time of day as to how that related to 4 years ago by the minute of what was unfolding in those moments 4 years ago. It continues to be a Miracle from God. Even hearing the sound of a medical helicopter flying over at about 8:45pm tonight was about the arrival time of Timothy's lungs arrival to the Mayo. Just amazing.

Debbie and I believe this journey is far from over, because just as we have had the opportunity and blessing to try to encourage others such as Dale and Judy, Paul and Ronda, Rick and Lisa, Cherie and Rick, Steve and Denise, as they have all experienced transplant or are facing the possibility of transplant, we feel God is equipping us to be used to be available to come alongside these folks and to be used by God and to Glorify him in the process.

In closing, some outcomes of transplants are different than others. We don't know why here on Earth, but I'm sure we will totally understand in Heaven one day.
Please pray for Rick 's wife Lisa as she battles rejection issues, for Cherie and Rick as she will begin transplant evaluation on November 1st at the Mayo(and for her husband Rick who has serious health issues of his own), and lastly for my brother Steve who has been told this week to begin the process to align himself with the Mayo for transplant evaluations.

Thank you again to all have been apart of this journey with us. Your friendship, words of encouragement and prayers are something that is so meaningful to both Debbie and I.

God Bless. Love in Christ,
Rick and Debbie

1 comment:

paul howley said...

Rick: I used to be your neighbor in Alton Bay and I was wondering how you've been!?....Paul Howley